Pages


His Name is Jesus Player

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Palmyra and Niagara Falls

We took our last planned trip. Payson is turning 2 next month, therefore, he won’t be free to fly anymore. We had Southwest credit, and found a good deal, so we flew to Buffalo, NY, rented a car, and visited Palmyra and Niagara Falls.  I can honestly say, I am sooooo sick of airplanes and flying. (When I say “sick” I mean literally).  Even though all of our trips have been fun- I am glad this is our last one for awhile.  Now the Winter coldness just needs to fly by so Payson and I can actually go play outside again!

Anyway, we went to church in Fayette, NY right next to Peter Whitmer’s cabin where the Book of Mormon was translated by Joseph Smith.  I met someone who grew up in Pocatello, and another who served is mission in Pocatello.  In fact, he served in the Highland Stake, but I didn’t know him, and he didn’t recognize my Bosen maden name.  After church one of the new young sister missionaries took us on a tour of the cabin.  It was not the original cabin, but it was built just like the original and built in the exact place of the original.

IMG_1794 IMG_1795

We saw the sites in Palmyra after eating lunch at a pizza place across the street from the Book of Mormon Publication site.  The sisters at the BOM Publication site were so excited to take us on a tour.  I guess we were the first visitors in two weeks seeing the sites-- probably because of the season and coldness. The Publication site had the same flooring and walls..  The church displayed a printing press just like what they would have used to print the first 5000 copies of the Book of Mormon.  The sisters showed us how the original Book of Mormons were published and bound.  We saw an original Book of Mormon next to a Bible, and the sisters asked us why they were displayed next to each other.  In fact, we were asked many questions that helped to build our Testimonies and to keep the presence of the Spirit with us.  It was a great tour, and even though Payson was a little rambunctious, he loved the paintings of the Savior and Nephites, and I’m sure he felt the Spirit, as well. 

IMG_1801 IMG_1802 IMG_1803 

At the Smith Farm we saw a replica log cabin of the one Joseph Smith grew up in and saw the Angel Moroni for the first time.  Even though it was not the original building, the Spirit was still strong in the upstairs bedroom where Joseph would have seen the Angel Moroni.  It was built in the same place as the original log cabin, therefore, it was the same place that the Angel Moroni appeared to Joseph Smith.  I imagined the room being filled with bright light.  What an overwhelming, yet, special experience for Joseph.  He had many, but I wonder if he ever really got use to them.

We toured the downstairs of the framed house that Alvin Smith built his family before he died.  It was the original building.  We saw the fireplace where Joseph Smith hid the gold plates.  The Elder Senior Missionary who took us on the tour also showed us and told us the other places Joseph hid the gold plates from the mob.  If you remember the stories, the mob never did get the gold plates from Joseph.  He was told that if he did his best to protect the plates, he would be successful in keeping them from the mob.

The barn that was built on the Smith farm was not their original barn, however, it was Brigham Young’s father’s barn.  It was torn apart from it’s original location, brought to the Smith Farm, and rebuilt exactly the same.  It is a little bigger than the Smith’s barn was, but still built in the same place as there barn was.

Despite the cold weather, we decided to walk to the Sacred Grove.  I have never been to Palmyra, and wanted to see it.  We were bundled up, and Payson was a trooper.  He had fun walking in the snow, and again, I am certain he felt the Spirit, as well.  The Sacred Grove was peaceful.  We were the only people there.  (We saw a couple of squirrels).  It was really neat to know that this was the place Joseph Smith saw God, the Father and his Son, Jesus Christ.  This is where he was told that he should join none of the churches.  I’m glad that Joseph Smith was faithful, and that he did everything the Lord had planned for him.  I know that he is a true prophet of God, and he was the instrument in the Lord’s hands of bringing the TRUE church back on the earth.  Without this true Gospel of Jesus Christ we cannot return to our Heavenly Father.  It is because Joseph Smith did as he was commanded that we have the Restoration of the Gospel.  I’m grateful for him, and I am especially grateful for Jesus Christ. 

IMG_1805 IMG_1806  IMG_1808 

Monday was our Niagara Falls day.  We went to Ontario, Canada because Josh read that the falls were better on the Canada side. He found a Travel Zoo hotel deal that gave us free meal vouchers, $25 casino money, and $50 Arcade money.  We had dinner and lunch at a restaurant called, the Keg.  It had overlooking views of the falls.  Plus, they gave Payson free snack food like strawberries and crackers to eat while the rest of our food was being cooked. The falls were beautiful.  The river was mostly frozen, and the snow in the background made the falls look pretty neat.  It was cold, so we took turns looking at the falls outside while the other person drove the car around.  We didn’t want to pay for parking to see the falls for 2 minutes each.

We had a lot of fun playing at Captain Jack’s Arcade.  The first “game” Payson and I played, we won the jackpot!  I also won the jackpot (800 tickets) on Deal or No Deal.  We spent all $50 worth of our credit, and ended up with over 2000 tickets.  All we got for prizes was a ball, tiny cheap toy car, little airplane, and some gross candy.  The actual total cost of these items would probably be $5- if that!   Payson likes his little prizes, though, and we did have a lot of fun!!

IMG_1810 IMG_1812 IMG_1814 IMG_1837 IMG_1838 IMG_1839  IMG_1842 IMG_1846 IMG_1853 IMG_1857 IMG_1858 IMG_1859 20140120_142930 20140120_143259 20140120_143305

It was a short and cold trip, but it was fun.

No comments:

Avenly

Stationery Card
View the entire collection of cards.

Baby Announcement

Stationery card
View the entire collection of cards.