Since Josh had a three day weekend because he had the 4th of July off, we decided to camp in South Dakota. We wanted to see Mt. Rushmore, and what better weekend than the weekend we celebrate our Nation’s Freedom?
We left Friday evening after Josh got home from work. Friday and Saturday night we slept with the air mattress in our jeep. Our second night was all primitive. We found a dirt road, took it, and found a good place to sleep for the night.
First thing Saturday morning we went to Wind Cave. It was long, skinny, and really neat. Then we drove through part of Custer State Park, where we saw bison. Throughout the weekend we saw lots of wildlife including; bison, big horn sheep, elk, bunnies, wild turkeys, deer, prong horn (antelope), gold and bald eagles, fish, cows (on the dirt road), prairie dogs, and a chip-monk.
Mt. Rushmore was neat. Josh thought the carving was bigger than expected. I actually thought it was smaller, until we got closer to it. It is really neat, and I’m glad we could see it.
South Dakota is really pretty. Besides the cave and Mt. Rushmore, we saw lots of pretty lakes, a beautiful water fall and stream, awesome rock structures, and pretty prairies.
We spent Monday in the Badlands of South Dakota. Badlands National Park was cool. The mountains are not mountains and mounds of rock, they are mountains and mounds of mud. We also went to an old Cold War Missile Sile and Control Center. I learned a ton about the Cold War that I didn’t know.
On our way home we stopped at Wall Drug Store. The drug store is famous and huge! We had lunch there, free ice water, and saw some cool things in the store. My Grandpa Wilde told me about it, and it worked out that it was on our way home.
We also stopped at Chimney Rock and Scott’s Bluff in Nebraska where the pioneers passed through! It was there halfway point.
Overall, the trip was great. I did get car sick, but that’s to be expected with the pretty but windy roads. I recommend going to South Dakota!!
Check out the album. The scenery was beautiful, and the pictures of Josh are even better!:-)
2 comments:
Sounds like a lot of fun! I like that first picture. :) A lot of your album pictures showed up blurry on my computer when I watched the slide show, is that how they look? Maybe you need a new camera? ;) I miss you already!!!
I LOVE Mt. Rushmore. We went there as a family once when we were kids and I would love to go back.
I love that you slept in your Jeep - supper fun! How long was the drive? It remember it being REALLY long as a kid, so hopefully it is not nearly as long as I remember (or significantly closer to Fort Collins than it is Salt Lake).
Post a Comment